Many of our online tutorials include actual training sessions with a trainee dog – teach your sheepdog to work in a pen.
No training happens in isolation so, as well as the main topic of the video tutorial, any training session can highlight other aspects of the dog’s work – good or not so good.
A typical example is our featured video Eve at the Pen.
At this point in her training Eve was becoming a very useful young dog, but you’ll see she isn’t perfect. The focus might be on working in and around the sheep sorting pens, but the lesson demonstrates so much more!
Watch Eve at the Pen for help with:
- A dog who circles the sheep after its outrun, instead of bringing them to you
- A dog who brings only a few of the sheep – leaving some sheep behind
- Teaching the dog to Look Back – to collect the left sheep and correct the habit
- Positioning the dog to push sheep into a pen
- Building the dog’s confidence
- Positioning the dog to move sheep through a race
- Using your body position to control the dog
- Stopping the dog at the back of the pen, behind the sheep, and keeping it there
- Leading the dog into a crowded pen to accustom it to working close to the sheep
Our featured tutorial Eve at the Pen is a 36 minute training session, demonstrating some common problems and full of valuable advice to improve your dog’s work (and your own). It will help you to teach your sheepdog to work in a pen.
(Only logged-in paid members can watch most videos linked to on this page).
With nearly FOURTEEN HOURS of our SHEEPDOG TRAINING TUTORIALS now available as FOUR double DVD sets, you can SAVE up to 20% if you buy all four, together with our original “First Steps in Border Collie Sheepdog Training” DVD set. More details. OR BETTER-STILL – watch ONLINE!